History of ASA
Asa did not have school buildings when it started, instead, teachers went to students' homes to teach them. In 1949, most U.S. children were doing the us Calvert correspondance courses supervised by their parents. Later on, students started to meet at the YMCA.
In 1954, the school moved the YMCA to a location al Calle Herrera. The director of the newly named American Community School was Mr. Rockwell. The grades went from kindergarden to 6th grade. By 1956, the school moved again to Gral. Santo 421, (between España and Mcal Lopez). Only U.S. students were enrolled and Spanish was taught as a foreign language.
In 1959, Mrs. Byron Winstead became the director. The school name was changed to the American School of Asuncion (ASA). Through a decree from the Paraguayan government, Paraguayan students could enroll at ASA. A kindergarden program was established to teach English to Paraguayans. By 1960, the school moved to Calle España 780 with 103 students (70 Americans and 33 Paraguayans) and 11 teachers. Later in the year, the school purchased 12 acres of land at our current location.
Throughout the early 60s, school enrollment continued to grow, the campus was enlarged, and grade levels were added. By 1964, ASA became a member of Southern States Association of Schools and Colleges (SACS). In 1965, the U.S. Department of State signed an agreement with the American Association of Colleges for Teacher Education. ASA expanded in 1967 by adding a Paraguayan Secondary School. The school had 204 students and 22 teachers.
Today the school has 708 students, 23 nationalities are represented at the school. There are 73 teachers. Approximately 50% of the teachers are from North America. Each year approximately half of school graduates attend selective universities in the US and half attend selective universities in Paraguay.